Employees owned mobile devices, public Wi-Fi hotspots and the need to remotely access corporate resources
Latest surveys indicate that employees use personally owned mobile devices for work and this trend will increase in the future; the enterprises need to urge in supporting these employee-owned mobile devices because they can dramatically increase the work productivity allowing an outstanding level of mobility.
Employees can use their own smartphones or tablets to remotely access corporate resources from public Wi-Fi networks which provide free or cheap Internet connections.
There are a few challenges in providing these remote workers with the level of access they need:
- Due to the untrusted nature of the Wi-Fi networks they use, strong encryption and authentication is needed for all the connections they initiate back to the corporate network meaningless if the original applications provide or not such security.
- They access many resources like email, file shares, various simple or complex applications.
- SSL VPN portals are neat but only provide limited access; remembr that for extended functionality they make use of ActiveX controls or Java applets while the mobile browsers either do not run them or offer limited support for them.
- Unified secure remote access: a single VPN client that would offer the needed level of access would be great making sure the traffic destined to the corporate network is protected especially when the Internet connection is a wireless hotspot.
- The mobile devices being unmanaged endpoints can be a door for malware/viruses to enter the corporate network; the traffic from the mobile devices must be scanned and cleaned from such threats.
A unified VPN client to the rescue for accessing the corporate resources
|SonicWALL Mobile Connect is a single VPN client, SSL-based, allows easy and secure remote access to needed resources for employees owned mobile devices capable of using wireless connections. Furthermore the same VPN client can be used inside the corporate network from a local WLAN to access the internal network without the need to provision an authenticated and encrypted wireless connection.|
Such a client can be the SonicWALL Mobile Connect unified client app for Apple iOS.
- It’s easy to obtain and install as it’s downloadable from the App Store; users can install it on their own iPhone or iPad.
- It uses encrypted SSL VPN connections to ensure confidentiality and data integrity; users’ traffic is protected while they travel and access the corporate networks from public Wi-Fi hotspots.
- It has a VPN on Demand feature that encrypts traffic whenever users attempt to access protected internal resources like an application, web site or host.
- With the SonicWALL Next-Generation Firewall on the corporate network, a Clean VPN solution can be achieved as the firewall scans the mobile VPN clients’ traffic for viruses, malware, worms or spyware applying IPS, Gateway antivirus and Antispyware inspection. Furthermore the SonicWall firewall’s application control functionality can define how applications and bandwidth are used.
- When they are back at the corporate office, users can continue to use their own mobile devices to access the internal network with the same Mobile Connect client from the local WLAN.